Sunday, December 5, 2010

I want a tattoo.

I always said that tattoos were not a good idea. Why would you permanently alter your body like that? Especially since skin changes so much over time.

Then I had a very rational conversation with my friend who put it well when she said that each of her tattoos is in a concealed place that only she can see, and each is connected to a particular happy memory, and each time she sees the tattoo it reminds her of that time.

So I'm actually considering it. We stumbled across a Netflix Instant movie tonight called "Modification" which is all about body modification, tattoos, piercings and plastic surgery. It all made me a tad squeamish (you actually get to see a sex-change procedure - which the biology geek in me was squeeing over, but the rational part of me was cringing away from). One of the tattoo artists said something about finding something that speaks to you and of you, and just go for it.

So I did a google images search tonight. The same friend suggested a Harry Potter tattoo, and as much as I love the books, I needed to do a little research to find something that spoke to me. I started with just basic Harry Potter-themed tattoos and couldn't find anything that jumped out at me. So I thought about the characters and objects in the story that I really identify with. Hermione is my own inner nerd, so of course I searched images of her, and got some really gorgeous pictures of Emma Watson. But I'm not going to tattoo someone else's face on my body. So then I searched objects associated with Hermione and got the enchanted coins used for the DA meetings, or her wand, and a few other things, but nothing jumped out at me. Then, on the same site, I found a wiki entry on the founders' artifacts, such as Gryffindor's sword, Hufflepuff's cup, etc. I saw Ravenclaw's diadem and was definitely interested. It's a tiara, first of all, and I adore sparkly things. Second, Ravenclaw is the nerd's sanctuary. Their motto is "Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure." And, as the final clincher, I had done one of those "Sorting Hat" quizzes a long time ago and they sorted me into Ravenclaw.

I know, I'm a geek. I wear that hat proudly.

So I did a google images search for Ravenclaw's Diadem. And came up with this.



So now I just need to figure out where to put it.

1 comment:

  1. You are so funny. When have we ever had a truly rational conversation? The whole "Wit beyond measure" thing really does scream Marci though. :) Oh, and I'm pretty sure my geek hat is just as big as yours.

    ReplyDelete