Thursday, November 18, 2010

Julie Andrews, eat your heart out

I'm kind of in the mood to count my blessings, so I decided to list some of the things I enjoy most in life. Now that I can actually enjoy things, it's amazing how happy the little things make me. So here are a few of my favorite things.

1. My light blue king-sized minky blanket from Costco. I lie in bed before going to sleep and pet it. It's softer than any pet I've ever owned, including Lacey, who had some really silky ears. I know, weird, right?

2. My Dansko clogs. I own two pairs. They're like a good husband, utterly dependable and supportive. The ultimate in sensible shoes.

3. My extra-large hoodies. I own two from my previous job and one from my new one. I would live in those things if the weather and my job permitted.

4. Facebook. If only because it provides another outlet for my relentless narcissism.

5. Wellbutrin. Because, well, duh.

6. Prenatal vitamins. Started taking them 7+ years ago when we started TTC originally. They made my hair silky and my nails long and strong. I never stopped taking them. My hairdresser asked me how I keep my hair in such great condition when I flat-iron it every day. I blame the vitamins.

7. Creme-filled chocolates. Not truffles, not nut-filled - the fluffy or creamy creme-filled ones. Or anything chewy. No fruit, though. Fruit does not belong in chocolate. It's an abomination. And don't even get me started on sour crap.

8. My kitchen. The cabinets, floor and table are all this light maple color that I adore. My entire house would be a mix of that color and natural wood if I had anything to say about it.

9. Sarah McLachlan, Jewel, Alanis Morissette, Madonna, Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, P!nk, Linkin Park, Lifehouse, and a bunch of other singers/bands who were popular in the 90s. I'm starting to feel old.

10. So You Think You Can Dance. FAVORITE SHOW EVER. My son even watches it with me. I can't stand most reality shows but this one makes me cry at least 4 times a season. The dancing is incredible, and I adore the new format. I miss dance and wish I could still do it like I used to.

11. Harry Potter. J.K. Rowling is my hero. No, scratch that. Hermione is my hero. The little (ok, let's be honest, huge) nerd inside me squees every time she raises her hand.

12. Sourdough breadbowls with beef stew from Costco. Good lord, were those good the other night. I never thought I'd enjoy them that much.

13. Grey's Anatomy and Glee. They're really the only two shows of the fall season that I watch regularly. I would do dirty, dirty things to Eric Dane. And Matthew Morrison, but only if he's singing with his shirt off. Mm.

14. Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs. Because I'm a nerd, and Mike Rowe. 'Nuff said.

15. My distressed jeans from Lane Bryant. I've never found jeans that make my ass look good and still fit my legs. These jeans make me feel hot. Even if I'm just wearing them with my favorite hoodie.

16. Analyzing things. And overanalyzing things. I like to figure things out. And rethink them. And figure how to fix them. It's what I do, it's who I am. It makes me good at what do, mainly because I do it so naturally that in the flow of things I can make changes based on a tiny detail that ends up being a huge learning moment. It's a bitch for most people around me, though. No one wants to be analyzed all the time. It's hard to turn off, though, and I'm a nerd. I like it.

17. My daughter. Words cannot describe her awesomeness. The simple way she says the words, "Okay?" and "All wight" melts my heart. Her constant chatter makes me giggle. Her adoration of her big brother makes me all gooey. She's so bright and shiny and happy all the time that I can't believe she came out of me. I blame the husband.

18. My son. His devotion to his sister is incredible. He kind heart and thoughtfulness are the kinds of qualities that I wish I could embody. He has become an amazing little boy (ok, big boy, he's 6 and is 4 1/2 feet tall and weighs 73 pounds). He wants to please and does everything he can to do so. He reminds me of things I would never have remembered. I look at my children and wonder how I could possibly have created two such amazing creatures. Again, I blame the husband. They couldn't have gotten their selflessness and caring from their narcissistic mother. ;-P

19. My husband. No one else in the world would have the patience to stay by my side through all of my struggles, and put up with my tantrums, fits of rage and breakdowns like he has. He is a saint. And an incredible kisser. And other things too, but we don't need to get into that here. Suffice it to say that he is perfect for me. My missing puzzle piece was found.

20. Me. I know, right? It has taken me 30+ years to like myself. I still don't like many aspects of my personality and my body, but goddammit, I couldn't have surrounded myself with such amazing people if I didn't have a few good qualities. After all that I've been through, all the self-hatred I've lived with, and all the mental beatings I've given myself over the years, I've finally reached a point of peace. Just in time for the holidays.

And with that, I conclude my ode to fun stuff. I think I'll get down and dirty with my next post and share the things that piss me off. Oh, that's gonna be fun!

1 comment:

  1. I think my favorites are number 11,13,and 20. The gooey stuff about the family was good too, but you know me, Harry Potter is hard to beat...even if I didn't like the last moive. I'm glad you like you, I do too!

    ReplyDelete